[texworks] Useful tool gone missing in MiKTeX

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 17:08:15 CET 2018

On 11/03/2018 8:00 AM, Dr A K Hannaby wrote:
> Philip
>
> No, I am not mistaken, it is definitely the text editor MikTeX of which
> I write – I’ve never used any other.

It sounds as though someone has packaged things for you in a way
different from what most of us see.

As Norbert explained, MikTeX is a collection of software that includes a
lot of things.  Normally it includes a copy of TeXWorks, though not the
same version you can get if you download it on its own.

If you are seeing MikTeX as a text editor, it's because you have things
set up in an unusual way.  There's a good chance that it's just a label
on the shortcut that says MikTeX, but you're actually running TeXWorks.
However, there are other possible editors it might be using.  You can
probably find out which you've got by asking for help when you run it:
on Windows, programs typically have "Help | About ..." pages describing
versions etc.  Other platforms usually have the same information
somewhere or other.  (I've assumed you're using Windows, because that's
where MikTeX originated, though nowadays it's available on Linux and
MacOS as well.)

Duncan Murdoch