[texworks] How to view various files of a project in texworks

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jul 2 21:32:51 CEST 2015

> On Jul 2, 2015, at 2:15 PM, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:
>

> Shray Sharan, Fnu wrote:
>
>> I want to work with all the files simultaneously. For instance while
>> working with the class file if I need to change something in the main
>> file, is there some kind of Project Explorer in TexWorks which shows all
>> the files and so I can just click on any file and work on it?
>
> On a recent project, I had over 50 XML files and a few TeX files open
> simultaneously; I could switch between them from the Window menu in
> TeXworks, or from the Windows task bar.  What TeXworks lacks is the
> concept of a "Main file", so that I can (for example) activate the
> "Compile" button while in an XML file and TeXworks will "know" to
> compile the main (TeX) file rather than the XML file.
>
> Philip Taylor

Howdy,

I believe TeXworks inherits the directive

% !TEX root = path/to/main.tex

(where path/to/main.tex is absolute or relative path to the main.tex file) from TeXShop. just place it near the top of the file. That works fine for .tex files.

I don't know much about XML files but maybe

<? TeXworks
% !TEX root = path/to/main.tex
?>

might work? I believe TeXworks would understand it but I don't know if some XML processor would get confused. As I said, I know little about XML.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)