[texworks] line buffered output

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Sun Nov 20 10:59:19 CET 2011

Hi all,

following Tako's answer to a question on the LuaTeX list¹, it seems that
TeXworks' terminal output is block-buffered. That is suboptimal in some
special cases, as the one I'm describing in that mail. Is it possible to
change this in TeXworks?

To explain my request: Look at the following plain LuaTeX example:

\let\n\relax
\directlua{
   delay = 1.0
   texio.write_nl("first comment\n")
   os.sleep (delay)
   texio.write("second comment\n")
   os.sleep (delay)
}
\bye

and have a look at the terminal output in TeXworks, in comparison to
compiling a normal terminal. The two comments should be output with a
time delay between them, which does not happen with TeXworks (at least
not with r.944 on x86_64 Arch Linux)

Cheers
Arno

¹http://tug.org/pipermail/luatex/2011-November/003352.html