[texworks] how can I reset the editor that is called by typing "e" in the console bar?

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 12:38:45 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-04-09 21:20, lrudolph at meganet.net wrote:
> Thank you!  In fact, this morning I got a bit cleverer
> with Google, and discovered that by TeXing something
> with the --src-special option, then opening the dvi
> file with YAP, I could set *YAP's* preferred editor,
> and that that would reset TexWork's (presumably by
> effecting the change to TEXEDIT as described above).
> I hadn't gotten around to writing to the list, but
> I'm very glad to have your explanation (which contains
> information that I still cannot locate in any of the
> help files supplied with MikTeX or TexWorks...though
> maybe a search on TEXEDIT might work; I'll try that).

In principle, Tw does set the TEXEDIT variable just before running the
typeset command. However, there seems to have been an error in the way
it did that, which should be fixed in r791.
On a different matter, MiKTeX doesn't seem to respect that variable.
Instead, one with the name MIKTEX_EDITOR is used. I didn't find any
documentation of it (other than some forum posts), but it seems to work
(at least on my MiKTeX 2.8 test system), so I added it to Tw as well
(also in r791).

HTH