[texworks] Cached version of .sty being used?

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 19:28:14 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am 2010-06-28 03:37, schrieb Paul A Norman:
> Yesterday I made repeated changes to an .sty and they were never
> reflected in the output .pdf, either poplar or acrobat reader.
>
> I checeked the date stamp on the .sty and it was updating with ewach
> save, I even monitored it from another editor, and the changes were in
> the saved version.

This is strange indeed. I never noticed it, and couldn't reproduce now
either.
 * Can you reproduce it?
 * If so, does the problem persist when you run pdflatex from the
command line (without closing Tw, though)?
 * Where was the .sty file located? (custom file in the same directory
as the .tex, custom file in a local texmf tree, official file in the/a
system-wide texmf tree, ...)

> In the end I closed and re-opened TeXWorks and all was finally working.
>
> Hence I see some possible connection to Tw editor, and the processes
> it spawns to compile .pdfs

Hm, Tw runs pdflatex anew each time you press typeset, so there
shouldn't be any "hidden persistent data". But I'm also not sure how/if
latex internally caches files (I wouldn't think so, but maybe it does to
avoid having to re-search the texmf tree each time; this may even depend
on the distro).
In any case, if you can reproduce the problem we might be able to track
down the problem. If not, let's hope it stays that way ;).

Cheers,