[texworks] Typesetting to a postscript file (not to PDF)

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 14:48:50 CET 2009

Hi David,

On 2009-12-26 14:35, David Perry wrote:
> When using TeXworks, how would I typeset to a postscript file (which I
> would then process with Acrobat Distiller)?  I think I need another
> option in the Typesetting menu, in addition to XeLaTeX or pdfLaTeX,
> but am not sure how to get that.  Normally I typeset to XeLaTeX, but I
> am having a problem with PDF security settings.  I might be able to
> control this better if I created the PDF directly with Acrobat.
>
> This PDF security issue is not strictly a TeXworks problem, but if
> anybody knows a better answer I'd appreciate it -- I have not found
> the solution elsewhere.

Googling briefly got me
http://www.timeblog.net/2009/05/25/commenting-feature-of-acrobat-reader-from-pdflatex/.
Not much in-depth information, but at least something, and a
confirmation of the problem. It also states that you could simply open
the pdf created by LaTeX in Acrobat, change the security settings, and
save it again. This is probably the best solution for your particular
problem.

As far as the dvi->ps process is concerned, this has been discussed a
few times here on the mailing list. For some solutions, please have a
look at:
http://tug.org/pipermail/texworks/2009q2/000822.html
http://tug.org/pipermail/texworks/2009q4/001903.html
or you could try to use latexmk (I'm not sure how easy that is on Windows).

HTH