[texworks] german translation

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 17:23:22 CEST 2009

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Floeren schrieb:
> I've done a quick correction step on the file.
> There have been a few semantical issues, lots of orthographical, and
> some expression issues.

Wow, thanks for all the effort!

> Some (few) entries were not editable (File ... trans not readable).

I don't quite understand how/which. If you could point me at a specific
entry (with the context and the source text)...

> Please have a look on the file and tell me what you think.
>
> (The file is attached. In case the attachment is eliminated by the
> list server, please give me an alternative upload address.)

I actually did get the file via the mailing list. But never mind...
I did have a look at it (well, rather at the changes you made), and I
have a few points I'd like to comment on/put up for discussion here (oh
no, not again ;)):

Unless noted otherwise, I'll always give "source" / "orig. translation"
/ "your translation"

1) Lots and lots of great improvements. Some of those translations were
really bad in the original version ;).

2) some typos in the comment to the translation of "regular expression"
(whichh, shouldnt) (duh ;))

3) "No recent search strings" / "Keine zuletzt verwendeten
Suchausdrücke" / "Keine zuletzt verwendeten Suchen"
I have no idea if the word "Suchausdrücke" exists officially or not.
IMO, "Suchausdrücke" sounds better than "Suchen", though. Actually, it's
not the searches that are saved, it's the search strings. Comments?

4) "Fit to Width" / "In Breite einpassen" / "In der Breite einpassen"
I didn't like the original, but I'm not 100% comfortable with your
suggestion, either. Somehow, it all cries "in welcher 'Breite'?" for me.
Maybe "An Fensterbreite anpassen"? Suggestions?

5) I noticed you added a space in front of each "...". Is there a
particular reason for this (style guidelines or something)?

6) "Tile" / "Kacheln" / "Verteilen"
IIRC, the majority voted for "Kacheln" (see my summary post)

7) "&Wrap around" / "Am &Anfang fortfahren, wenn das Ende
erreicht ist" / "Am &Anfang fortfahren"
It's a lot better (more concise) now. Still, I'd like to make a call for
more suggestions because when searching backwards, it doesn't actually
continue from the beginning. Ideas anyone?

8) "Subset" / "Untermenge" / "Subset"
You said that this is a fixed term. I've never heard it before, so if
someone could confirm this? To clarify: "subset" means that only some
glyphs of a font are embedded in the document (instead of all the
glyphs/the whole font). In fact, I'd favor the opposite version
("Komplett"), but that's not the way the program works, unfortunately.

9) "Fit to Window" / "Einpassen" / "In Fenstergröße Einpassen"
"Einpassen" should be lower case here, IMO.

10) "When launched, show" / "Zeige, wenn gestartet" / "Anzeigen nach Start"
(in the context of the first tab of the prefs dialog) I'd like to submit
"Nach dem Start Folgendes anzeigen" for consideration.

11) "Editor defaults" / "Editor Standardeinstellungen" /
"Standard-Editoreinstellungen"
I'd like to submit "Standardeinstellungen für den Editor" for consideration.

12) "Auto-hide output panel unless errors occur" / "Verberge Ausgabe,
wenn kein Fehler auftritt" / "Ausgabe unterdrücken wenn kein Fehler
auftritt"
Technically, this isn't true. There is an output, and the corresponding
window is shown during the TeX run. It is just hidden afterwards, not
suppressed.

13) "Syntax coloring:" / "Syntax-Hervorhebung:" / "Syntaktische
Hervorhebung:"
I consider "Syntax-Hervorhebung" a kind of standard translation. But
this may be due to my background in programming. Comments?

14) In the translation of "About ", you have what appears to be a
unicode character for three dots, instead of "..."

15) "No default binary directory found" / "Kein
Standard-Binärverzeichnis gefunden" / "Kein Standard-Binary-Verzeichnis
gefunden"
I agree that there is no such thing as a "Binärverzeichnis". However,
I'd like to submit "Kein Standard-Programmverzeichnis gefunden" for
consideration.

16) You should add yourself to the translators in the about dialog ;).

Phew, sorry for the number of comments. But you asked for it ;).

Cheers