[texworks] Simplified Chinese translation for TeXworks

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 21 12:13:45 CET 2009

On 21 Mar 2009, at 01:22, Yinhe Zhang wrote:

> Hello, Arthur
> Thank you for your suggestion. It is up to Jonathan Kew to decide to
> use which locale name finally.
> But in Linux the locale environment conventionally uses "zh_CN" for
> Simplified
> Chinese and "zh_TW" and "zh_HK" for Taiwan and Hongkong respectively .

I think you are right; zh_CN is the appropriate code here.

Arthur, ISO 15924 is about codes for scripts, but the important point
here is not script but locale. The primary identifying feature of the
translation is not that it's "Chinese written with the Simplified
script" (in contrast to the Traditional script), but that it's
"Chinese as used in PRC" (in contrast to Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan,
etc.) Compare things like en_US vs en_GB, or fr_FR vs fr_CA.

Moreover, from a practical viewpoint, zh_CN is the commonly-supported
locale code on Linux, for example, and in particular it is the code
recognized by Qt.

Yinhe, many thanks for doing this translation! I have added it to the
repository, so it will become part of future builds. I hope you will
review and update it from time to time, as features get added to the
interface.

Regarding installation, you can build it into the application itself
(as you did); that's what will happen anyway now that it is part of
the repository. The other option, to save recompiling TeXworks, would
be to create the .qm file with Linguist and put it into a translations
subdirectory of the TeXworks library folder (default: ~/.TeXworks on
Linux); then the application should recognize it at startup and add to
the available locales in the Preferences dialog.

JK