[texworks] integrating TeX Works into TeX Live

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 16 02:10:13 CET 2009

On 15 Mar 2009, at 14:08, Stefan Löffler wrote:

> The texworks-portable.ini is intended primarily to tell TW (from the
> command line)

Not sure what you mean by this. The texworks-portable file applies
equally to TW launched from an icon in a GUI, doesn't it?

> that it should operate in portability mode. At the moment,
> only two options are supported in it: ini-path and lib-path. The
> former
> points to a directory in which TW should store its configuration
> file in
> the form TeXworks.ini (I think). The latter points to the directory
> from
> which TW loads its highlighting patterns, completion templates, etc.

Suppose we supported a third key in this file: defaultbinpaths = <list
of paths>.

This would provide fresh defaults for the paths, replacing the
compiled-in ones. (They'd still be overridden by any changes the user
makes in the Preferences dialog, of course. The "Restore Defaults"
button in Prefs would reset to the defaults from this .ini file,
rather than the compiled-in paths.)

Then all the TL installer needs to do is create a small .ini file
alongside the TW binary, listing the appropriate bin directories. It
wouldn't put the inipath or libpath keys in the file at all, as TW
knows where to put these by default for proper per-user setup.

If there are other defaults that we want to make configurable at
installation time, they could be added here too, but I would want to
keep these to an absolute minimum; at the moment, I can't think of
anything else that deserves to be done here.

(Oh, and I'm thinking of renaming the file something like "texworks-
setup.ini" as this isn't really related to "portable" mode.)

WDYT?