[texworks] integrating TeX Works into TeX Live

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Mon Mar 16 00:46:17 CET 2009

Karl Berry a écrit :
> Is there any difference in configuring TW for TL vs. for MiKTeX?  I.e.,
> do you need to know the TeX distribution you're using?  I'm
> guessing/hoping not ...

IIRC, MikTeX doesn't puts its binaries in the PATH. It goes "the windows way"
(no troll intended): every other program wanting to use it needs to know the
path to the tex binaries. (At least, it looked so last time I configured TeX
editors on MikTeX machines.)

Karl, I agree with you that looking for tex.exe in the PATH on windows is
enough. On Unix though, we should probably be careful, since most users running
a graphical environment don't know how to set the PATH for their GUI
applications (and indeed the TL manual mentions only setting the PATH for
shells, while texworks will most probably be run from menu, not a shell).

> Hmm.  Let me ask it another way.  Do you think we need to create a
> "global" config file for TL?  Or does TW have "compiled-in" defaults
> that suffice?  Or?

Let me reformulate my previous point: I'd prefer the second option (appropriate
defaults) over creating a config file for TL. Anyway, as long as it works...

Manuel.