[texworks] Setting search path, using (La)TeX for dvi and synctex

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Sep 17 15:29:32 CEST 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 8:11 AM, Stephen Moye wrote:

> I am, in this instance, using TeXworks on Mac OS X 10.5.5.
>
> 1. I'm trying to get TeXworks to look in:
>
> 	/usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/universal-darwin
>
> When I click on the + to add a path ("Paths for TeX and related
> programs" in TeXworks>Preferences), the resulting dialogue box shows
> only visible directories. Using terminal, I tried setting the Finder
> preference to show invisible files, but that had no effect on the
> dialogue box. I also looked in org.tug.texworks.plist but saw
> nothing promising there. Can this be done at present?

Howdy,

I believe TEXworks is configured properly out of the box to find /usr/
texbin (which is a symlink to the proper bin directory). The TeX
Distribution System Preference Pane will set the proper symlink so
that you can have multiple TeX distributions; e.g., play with MacTeX
2008 while maintaining MacTeX 2007 for ongoing work.

> 2. I can get simpdftex to work, but when I add:
>
> 	--extratexopts "synctec=1"
>
> I get an error to the effect that --extratexopts is an unknown
> option. As far as I can tell, TeXworks is finding simpdftex in /usr/
> texbin. Is this right?
>
> I am coming very much to like TeXworks, and look forward to it
> becoming a very valuable tool in the TeX toolbox.
>
> Stephen Moye

You got at least two mistakes: it should be

--extratexopts "--synctex=1"

so there is a missing -- and and x, not a c, in the option name. If
that doesn't work try placing the --synctex=1, without the quotes, as
a separate option. What I have is: