[texshop] Trashing aux files in OneDrive

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Mon Mar 7 17:13:42 CET 2022

> On 7 Mar 2022, at 09:56, Youdin, Andrew - (youdin) <youdin at arizona.edu> wrote:
>
> Recently I lost the ability to trash aux files for files that are in a OneDrive folder (the Microsoft cloud service that my university provides).
>
> I am currently using TexShop 4.69 on a M1 Pro running OS 12.2.1.  I noticed that a change was made for TexShop 4.69 allow trashing of aux files with Google Drive, so am hopefully that this feature could be restored for OneDrive.  [...]

This doesn't answer your question, but the release notes for macOS 12.3, currently in beta, <https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos-release-notes/macos-12_3-release-notes>, say:

"The kernel extensions used by Dropbox Desktop Application and Microsoft OneDrive are no longer available. Both service providers have replacements for this functionality; Dropbox is currently in beta. (85890896)"

For OneDrive, the change seems to affect the Files On Demand functionality; for example

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/01/macos-12-3-will-break-cloud-storage-features-used-by-dropbox-and-onedrive/
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-onedrive-blog/inside-the-new-files-on-demand-experience-on-macos/ba-p/3058922
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-onedrive-blog/updates-to-files-on-demand-on-macos/ba-p/3207503

The updated OneDrive app, described in the last link, is version 22.033, while the current version seems to be 22.022.0130.

In itself, this does not look like it would affect TeXShop.

I have One Drive as part of Microsoft 365, but don't use it. I just activated it now to test, putting one .tex file on One Drive and typesetting it with TeXShop.

Typesetting works fine, but selecting File > Trash Aux Files does nothing: no error message, but the aux files are not touched.

To be sure, I tried with the same files on my internal drive: Trash Aux Files deletes everything save the .tex and .pdf files. Same if the files are on iCloud.

Immediately after I select Trash Aux Files for the files on OneDrive, Console.app shows

error	16:14:21.197424+0100	fileproviderd	Error retrieving item state item <private>; error NSError: Cocoa 256 "<private>"
error	16:14:21.216738+0100	fileproviderd	Error retrieving item state item <private>; error NSError: Cocoa 256 "<private>"
error	16:14:21.237200+0100	fileproviderd	Error retrieving item state item <private>; error NSError: Cocoa 256 "<private>"
error	16:14:21.253806+0100	fileproviderd	Error retrieving item state item <private>; error NSError: Cocoa 256 "<private>"

where the four messages seem to correspond to the four files to trash: .aux, .log, .out, .synctex.gz.

<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10106087/nscocoaerrordomain-code-256> has all sorts of info on Cocoa error 256. The TeXShop code (lines 8066 ff of TSDocument.m)

        NSError *err;
        [[NSFileManager defaultManager] trashItemAtURL: [NSURL fileURLWithPath:anObject] resultingItemURL: nil error:&err];
        (err.code==NSFeatureUnsupportedError && [[NSFileManager defaultManager] removeItemAtPath:anObject error:nil]);

contains one of the solution StackOverflow recommends (fileURLWithPath). So the problem must be elsewhere. Some answers on StackExchange seem to connect the error with sandboxing and app transport.

That's as far as I went.

Bruno Voisin