[texshop] Auto-rotation of landscape pages upon printing

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Tue Dec 7 00:19:44 CET 2021

Just today I noticed something odd with TeXShop. I may have raised the issue already in the past, I'm not sure. If I have, I'm sorry to bring it up again.

I was printing a LuaLaTex PDF document including one rotated page (a sideways table). The page was rotated automatically by using, before \documentclass,

\RequirePackage[figuresright]{rotating}
\RequirePackage{pdfmanagement-testphase}
\DeclareDocumentMetadata{}

and after it

\ExplSyntaxOn
\AddToHook{env/sidewaysfigure/end}{\pdfmanagement_add:nnn{ThisPage}{Rotate}{90}}
\ExplSyntaxOff

I don't think the specifics matter here, only the fact the page was rotated hence in landscape orientation.

Printing the document in TeXShop, I realized the rotated page looked awful (attached Buoyant-Oscillations-TeXShop): the landscape page was stretched but left as is, resulting in portrait output containing only a part of the original page.

First I thought the printer was to blame, but it turns out it's not. Printing the same page in Preview, everything's fine (attached Buoyant-Oscillations-Preview). Looking closely, the Preview Print window includes an Auto Rotate checkbox while TeXShop doesn't (at least I couldn't find it), and this box seems automatically checked by default.

Again, the above reminds vaguely of something, so I may have raised the issue already. If so, I'm sorry to bother you again with that.

The original document (Buoyant-Oscillations.pdf) is also attached.

Bruno