[texshop] How use Carlisle's "mylatex" package with TeXShop?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 22:16:30 CET 2020

Your diagnosis seems to be correct.

My trials show:

(1) Having just

	%&fmtname

works with TeXShop Typeset choices EITHER latex OR pdflatexmk.

(2) The pair

	% !TEX program = latex
	% !TEX parameter = -fmt fmtname

does NOT work with either of the Typeset choices latex or pdflatexmk.

(3) The pair

	% !TEX program = pdflatexmk
	% !TEX parameter = -fmt fmtname

works with Typeset choice either latex or pdflatexmk and, as expected, but in either case runs pdflatexmk.

My conclusion is that the preferred method would be having just the single directive

	%&fmtname

at the top of the file, for then the typesetting is controlled by the choice of program or engine for Typeset (latex or pdflatexmk), Unless, of course, one wants to force pdflatexmk regardless of the choice of program/engine in the TeXShop menu.

> On 6 Dec2020, at 1:57 PM, koch at uoregon.edu wrote:
>

> Murray,
>
> The line
>
> 	%& fmtname
>
> is a magic line understood by TeX, but not by TeXShop.
>
> The line
>
> 	% !TEX program = pdflatexmk
>
> is a magic line understood by TeXShop, but not by TeX
>
> I don't have time to check right now, but I suspect that the magic line
>
> 	% !TEX parameter = ...
>
> only applies to engines with associated scripts in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines and not to build-in typesetting commands like tex and pdftex and latex and pdflatex.
>
> Richard Koch

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334