[texshop] How use Carlisle's "mylatex" package with TeXShop?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 19:36:14 CET 2020

I “precompiled” using the mylatexformat (rather than mylatex) package.

Curious that

	% !TEX program = pdflatexmk
	% !TEX parameter = -fmt fmtname   [with just the form name or with extension name.fmt]

which you report worked for you, did NOT work for me if I tried to typeset using the latex engine choice from the menu button.

On the other hand, either

	%&fmtname       [format file name with NO extension]

alone or

	%&fmtname
	%!TEX TS-program = fmtname

did work.

However,

	%!TEX TS-program = fmtname

alone did NOT work.

What could adcount for the discrepancy between our two situations?
> On 6 Dec2020, at 9:26 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 5, 2020, at 2:05 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> (1) Does
>>
>> 	% !TEX parameter = "&mylatex”
>>
>> refer to making the fmt file, or typesetting runs after making the fmt file?
>
> Howdy,
>
> That is for the typesetting run and once you have the .fmt file you can name it anything you want.
>
> Also, that didn't seem to work for me but using
>
> % !TEX program = pdflatexmk
> % !TEX parameter = -fmt fmtname
>
> (where fmtname is the name of your fmtname.fmt file which should be in the same folder as your .tex document or ~/Library/texmf/web2c) does seem to work.
>

>> (2) It turns out I have to use the package mylatexformat rather than mylatex in order to successfully compile a fmt file from my source’s preamble.
>>
>> In that case, do I correctly assume that I just change “&mylatex” to “&mylatexformat”?
>>
>> I note that https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/377033/13492 gives instead the instruction to put the line
>>
>> 	%&foo
>>
>> at the top of my source named foo during typesetting runs (after I created the .fmt).
>>

> I'm not familiar with that but, if it works you can remove the `parameter' directive for TeXShop. It sounds like the %& is a special directive for pdflatex.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> herbs at wideopenwest.com

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334