[texshop] Modified Experimental 4.33

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Fri Aug 23 18:08:57 CEST 2019

Folks,

I modified the experimental version of TeXShop, still called version 4.33:

	http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop433.zip

This file is readable by everyone.

The new version arises from a conversation with Yusuki Terada at the Palo Alto Tug Conference. He called my attention to a stackexchange discussion about Spotlight indexing of TeX files. Today he reminded me of this conversation:

-----------------

"In addition, I send the URL about Spotlight indexing which I mentioned at the lunch hour.
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/206328/how-to-search-latex-documents-in-spotlight/244791#244791

According to my test, of all the answers posted on this page, this solution by "user11126" worked well. This solution suggests adding new entries into TeXShop.app/Contents/Info.plist and TeXShop.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/TeX.mdimporter/Contents/Info.plist.
After adding these new entries and reindexing the Spotlight database, it became possible to search contents of TeX files by Spotlight."

While I hesitate to open this can of worms again, it looks like the Stack Exchange discussion contained good advice. It suggested adding "public.tex" to the types searched by the mdimporter included in TeXShop, and also adding this as a type written by TeXShop.

I adopted the suggestions a little more aggressively. I made the suggested changes in the plist for the mdimporter. But I also modified TeXShop so it now writes public.tex as its default for both TeX and LaTeX files. The program still exports edu.uo.texshop.tex and edu.uo.texshop.ltx for compatibility with older files, but it no longer writes this as the main UTI of new files.

This should improve Spotlight searching. If we are lucky, it might also improve icons, since I assigned the standard TeXShop LaTeX icon to these two file types.

...fingers-crossed...

Richard Koch