[texshop] TeXShop 4.13

Justin C. Walker justin at me.com
Sat Oct 13 20:40:21 CEST 2018

Well, ...

> On Oct 13, 2018, at 11:15 , Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at icloud.com> wrote:
>
>> On 13 Oct 2018, at 17:02, Gary L. Gray <glgray at me.com> wrote:
>>
>> Speaking of fonts, if you use Menlo, then you should check out Meslo, which is a customized version Menlo that increases the line spacing. It also has a version with a dotted zero instead of zero with a diagonal line. It is my go-to font for everything code related and for email.
>>
>> https://github.com/andreberg/Meslo-Font
>
> I forgot: if you're interested in such subtle font aspects, then you might check also Lucida Console DK, which is part of TUG's Lucida OpenType package <http://tug.org/store/lucida/opentype.html>.
>
> It is a customized version of Lucida Grande Mono DK specially designed for console apps. To that effect, it has shorter capitals.
>
> The zero is not dotted nor slashed. "Slashed Zero" is available as a typographic extra, but when I select it in Apple's font picker it doesn't appear in TeXShop.
>
> However, the O and Q letters have the super-elliptic design championed by Don Knuth (hence the DK in the font name)
>
> http://tug.org/TUGboat/tb34-2/tb107bigelow-zero.pdf
> http://tug.org/TUGboat/tb35-3/tb111knut-zero.pdf
> http://tug.org/TUGboat/tb36-3/tb114bigelow.pdf
>
> so they are easily distinguished from the 0 digit. See also
>
> http://tug.org/store/lucida/opentype-dk.html
>
> Attached are screnshots of the same text in Menlo
>
> <Screenshot 2018-10-13 at 19.47.01.png>
>
> and Lucida Console DK
>
> <Screenshot 2018-10-13 at 19.46.26.png>
>
> You really need a trained eye to see the differences.

This has certainly been an instructive thread.

As for the Reply-to issue: I’m happy with whatever the list provides.  I hadn’t noticed in the past that the TeX lists were configured this way, so clearly, no impact on me.  Thanks for clarifying this aspect of my scribblings.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker
Curmudgeon-at-large