[Talk] Demystifying the Knuth-Plass (in French)

Zunbeltz Izaola textnik.typesetting at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 15:57:25 CET 2024

Paulo,

What is the Knuth-Plass algorithm that InDesign was trying to do? or the hz
(Herman Zapf) algorithm that implies the scaling of glyphs?

According to wikipedia it is not known if InDesign uses the algorithm.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hz-program
but this resource
https://www.typografi.org/justering/gut_hz/gutenberg_hz_english.html
says it is part of the composition algorithm.

>> > implementing Knuth-Plass in Adobe InDesign.
>>
>>   I'm curious about this. Is this coming from your experience as an
>> InDesign user (like, getting unsatisfactory results) or from some
>> technical information that you have about their implementation? In what
>> way is it failing?
>>

> Both. Some 15 years ago I was in touch with the group tasked, but
> information was tightly controlled back then and much more now.
>
> I have followed every release since then and the results varied
> tremendously from release to release and right now it seems they removed
> everything and are using some in-house developed algorithm -- which has
> awful results.
>
> Paulo Ney

Zunbeltz Izaola
TeXtnik typesetting