TeX Hour: 16 June: 6:30 to 7:30pm UK time: From Alpine Linux to DocBook via AsciiDoc

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 18:14:48 CEST 2022

Hi

Tomorrow's TeX hour is on a successful human interface to DocBook XML, as
used in practice.

Recently I revisited Alpine Linux (small, simple, secure and good in
containers) and discovered that it has new documentation pages. I liked the
pages and so wondered how they were created. They use AsciiDoc (new to me)
which is a human-readable document format, semantically equivalent to
DocBook (a long established XML markup language for technical
documentation).

This greatly interests me. There are many tools that can process DocBook
XML, which underlies the math accessibility project PreTeXt (which can
generate braille output). And AsciiDoc is being used by Alpine Linux who,
in my opinion, have very good taste in their choice and adoption of
technology. What I've learnt will be the subject of tomorrow's TeX Hour.

TeX Hour: Thursday 16 June, 6:30 to 7:30pm UK time.
Zoom URL:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/78551255396?pwd=cHdJN0pTTXRlRCtSd1lCTHpuWmNIUT09
UK Time Now: https://time.is/UK.

URLS:
https://www.alpinelinux.org
https://docs.alpinelinux.org
https://antora.org
https://asciidoc.org
https://asciidoctor.org
https://asciidoc-wg.eclipse.org
https://pretextbook.org

Last week's TeX Hour was Learning Platforms - books to containers, Euclid
to Katacoda.
Video is available at  https://youtu.be/n_Ew8Gol0TE.

Next week's TeX Hour (Thus 23 June) will be on PDF and typeset output in
the web browser. I used to collect stamps and I will start as a case study
with two high level stamp auction sites.

https://siegelauctions.com/
https://siegelauctions.com/2022/1259/1259.pdf # Warning - large.

https://en.calameo.com/books/0043275393edf39430f7f
https://en.calameo.com/read/0043275393edf39430f7f

By the way, for security and other reasons from 1840 until about 1950
postage stamps were miniature masterpieces of design and printing (in other
words graphic typography), as on a larger scale were banknotes. Both are
part of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_printing. New security
measures include polymer printing and holograms. And bar-code readers in
postal systems allow users to print their own pre-paid postage labels, a
substitute for the postage stamp.

By the way, the Universal Postal Union, founded 1874 by the Treaty of Bern,
is the world's third oldest international organisation, and now part of the
United Nations.

wishing you well

Jonathan