CSL code to bibtex citations styles?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 12 13:38:18 CEST 2022

On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 11:56:13AM +0100, David Carlisle wrote:
>    see for example a discussion of biblatex v csl at
>    [https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/434946/citation-style-language-vs-biblatex-vs-possibly-other-citing-systems]https:
>    //tex.stackexchange.com/questions/434946/citation-style-language-vs-biblatex-vs-possibly-other-citing-systems

Thanks,
I guess the excerpt from your link  is pretty close,
but AFAICT it sounds like you should be
able to generate a bst file from the CSL ? So I guess the specific
question still remains, " can you generate a bst file from the CSL?"

\begin{quote}

I'm the creator of CSL, which I originally created for very simple reasons:

While I used LaTeX, I work in a field which requires Word-compatible files; LaTeX not accepted.
I saw no reason why such styling needed to be tightly-coupled to the output format. So my prototype XSLT implementation had output drivers for LaTeX (bypassing BibTeX), HTML, and RTF, IIRC. I found that worked pretty well and so was a proof-of-concept (I used it to format my first book), and has since remained a priority.
One additional advantage of that output flexibility is a much larger potential user base for CSL styles, which in turn can lead to many more supported styles.

I have a lot of respect for biblatex though; it's a great solution if you can work exclusively in LaTeX.

But you probably want to use CSL if you need non-LaTeX output targets.

\end{quote}

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox