[External] problem with updmap

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Thu Dec 15 02:52:36 CET 2022

On Thu, 15 Dec 2022, Goodman, Frederick M wrote:
> Thanks.   I prefer to continue doing it as I indicated.  I’ve been doing it that way for a decade at least, and it is the way recommended here: https://tug.org/fonts/fontinstall.html.  The fonts are installed in the texmf-local tree.

Well, the method described will generate an
	updmap.cfg
in TEXMFCONFIG (afair) and the rest is the same.

(Note to myself, I should update the fontinstall.html page ...)

> The command invocation was as indicated.  In fact, I just cut and paste from my notes which I use every year when I install the new texlive. But I agree with you that the command seems not to be parsed correctly, and the mystery I’d like to clear up is why.

Is the "space" between "--force" and "--enable" a **real** space?

> >>  2.  sudo -H updmap-sys --force --enable Map=newfont.map,

I ask, because here in Japan where I live I often make the failure to
insert a Japanese space, and eg Emacs does display Japanese full width
spaces as half width, so they are hard to distinguish.

Another idea is your IFS? Do you have some strange setting for IFS env
variable?

The problem is **independent** of Perl! It is a problem of your shell.
The shell splits the input string into words (by $IFS) and passes those
words on as separate arguments to Perl.

What perl sees is *one* argument
	"--force --enable Map=newfont.map"
and process this one with the usual argument parser.

So if there is a problem, it needs to be searched in the shell.

Best

Norbert

Mercari Inc.     +     IFMGA Guide     +     TU Wien     +     TeX Live