retractions in bibtex entries,

Schneider, Thomas (NIH/NCI) [E] schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Sat Dec 10 22:14:05 CET 2022

Mike:

> I get pubmed search updates and sometimes there is a retraction
> notice included. Updates like this can be a problem.
> This paper was recently retracted,
>
> https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35815265/

I use my own tcsh script to convert PubMed entries into bibtex format.
It uses a Pascal program - ancient but reliable tools (like LaTeX!).

https://alum.mit.edu/www/toms/delila/medlinebib.html

So I ran it.  I got this entry:

@article{Zhang.Wang2022,
author = "H. Zhang
 and J. Xian
 and Y. Li
 and L. Xiao
 and L. Wang",
title = "{Effects of Tenofovir Combined with Recombinant Human
Interferon alpha-2b on Negative Conversion Rate, Liver Function,
Immune Status, and Drug Safety in Patients with Chronic Hepatitis B:
A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis}",
journal = "Evid Based Complement Alternat Med",
volume = "2022",
pages = "1889628",
pmid = "35815265",
pmcid = "PMC9262527",
note = "\url
{https://doi.org/10.1155/2022/1889628}",
comment = "2022/12/10 16:00:11 ",
year = "2022"}

While generating that it told me that the way to get the medline
format entry is:

https://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/efetch.fcgi?db=pubmed&id=35815265&rettype=medline&retmode=text

If you try this link, it should be a clean text page (attached).

My medlinebib program parses this since it is a reliable format.

In there I found:

PT  - Retracted Publication

So you can use that to identify retracted publications - no unreliable
html scraping needed!!

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator