psfonts.map not found

Haines Brown haines at histomat.net
Fri Dec 3 19:49:22 CET 2021

I built a new machine and copied fonts over to their original
locations. I registered the fonts and ran $ texhash.

No problem with the old machine, but when I try now to run PDFLaTeX
on a .tex file on the new machine I get this errror:

kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+120/600 --dpi 720 ptmb8r
gsftopk: fatal: map file `psfonts.map' not found.
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for ptmb8r.
mktexpk: perhaps ptmb8r is missing from the map file.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
(see the transcript file for additional information)
!pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file ptmb8r): Font ptmb8r at 720 not found
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Does this mean that the only map missing is that for the ptmb8r font?
This seems to be Adobe Times Roman. I thought this worked out of the
box. In any case I don't use Times Roman but instead mathptmx.

Also installed is textgreek, tipa, mathrsfs, amsmath, amssymb,
phonetic, arabtex, CJKitf8, wasysym.

--
Haines Brown