how to check siunitx package installed or not

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Fri May 8 00:20:57 CEST 2020

On 07/05/2020 16:21, political science wrote:
> When I compile this  I get message |Unfortunatley the package siunitx
> could not be installed|and an error |File siunitx.sty' not found.

On most systems there is a command 'kpsewhich' to find exactly *which*
TeX file will be used, so if you open a Command window and type

    kpsewhich siunitx.sty

if will either come back with the full path to the file, or nothing if
it is not installed or findable. Mine says

/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/siunitx/siunitx.sty

The search provided by your operating system may locate the file
somewhere else if it is on the computer but not installed in a place TeX
can find it.

But it looks as if there is something wrong with directories or
privileges: "Unfortunatley the package siunitx could not be installed"
may mean that your auto-installer tried, but was prevented from writing
to the directory. Or possibly that the auto-installer was unable to
retrieve the file from CTAN.

Peter