Looking for a couple of bibliographic references

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Fri Mar 20 14:10:28 CET 2020

On 20/03/2020 09:56, Didier Verna wrote:

>    Hi all,
>
> I hope you'll pardon this slightly off-topic intrusion... I'm looking
> for two old references, mostly out of curiosity, and preferably in
> digital format. These are:
>
> Michael P. Barnett, Computer Typesetting: Experiments and Prospects,
> M.I.T. Press, Cambridge, Mass., 1965.
>
> C . J. Duncan, J. Eve, L. Molyneux, E. S. Page, and Margaret G. Robson,
> ‘Computer typesetting: an evaluation of the problems,’ Printing
> Technology 7 , 133-151 (1963).

You might possibly get some pointers from national bodies like the UK's
British Printing Industries Federation (britishprint.com)

The one place who would have known would have been PIRA, the Printing
Industries Research Association in the UK, but they were wound up some
years ago.

Other countries have similar institutions. In the USA it used to be the
GCA, but I have no idea if they have maintained their archives since
they became IdeAlliance.

As the 1960s slowly becomes ancient history, it's possible that someone
at the Printing Historical Society
(http://printinghistoricalsociety.org.uk/) might have information, or
the St Bride Foundation Library (https://www.sbf.org.uk/).

Peter