[texhax] Conversion otf -> tfm

Bob Tennent rdt at cs.queensu.ca
Mon Aug 20 16:09:42 CEST 2018

 >|I did:
 >|
 >|$ otftotfm -e texnansx VectoraLTPro-Roman.otf

I don't think the texnansx encoding will be useful in plain
TeX. Here's what the man page for otftotfm says:

       The easiest way to use otftotfm is with the -a
       option. Without -a, otftotfm writes all its output
       files to the current directory.

       After running "otftotfm fontfile texname" and
       installing the results (manually or with -a), you can
       use the OpenType font in plain TeX with a command
       like this:

           \font\myfont=texname at 10pt

Notice the use of texname; I don't know what font name
to use if one doesn't provide it at the command line. If
you intend to use otftotfm, you should use a -vendor
option because the map file it generates is of the form
"vendor".map; the default for "vendor" is lcdftools if you
don't provide a vendor. And you'll have to call

updmap-user -enable Map "vendor".map

manually because the current version of otftotfm still calls
updmap.

 >|> And autoinst is intended to be used with a font *family*,
 >|> not an individual font. Is VectoraLTPro-Roman.otf the only
 >|> VectoraLTPro font you have?
 >|
 >|I have:
 >|
 >|VectoraLTPro-BlackItalic.otf, VectoraLTPro-Black.otf,
 >|VectoraLTPro-BoldItalic.otf, VectoraLTPro-Bold.otf,
 >|VectoraLTPro-Italic.otf,
 >|VectoraLTPro-LightItalic.otf, VectoraLTPro-Light.otf,
 >|VectoraLTPro-Roman.otf

Well, autoinst could be provided with all of them in one
call and would produce a sty file for use with LaTeX. But
presumably this is not of interest to you if you don't use
LaTeX.

Bob T.