[texhax] Conversion otf -> tfm

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 23:36:49 CEST 2018

Bob Tennent <rdt at cs.queensu.ca> writes:

>  >|I did:
>  >|
>  >|$ otftotfm -e texnansx VectoraLTPro-Roman.otf
>
> I don't think the texnansx encoding will be useful in plain
> TeX. Here's what the man page for otftotfm says:
>
>        The easiest way to use otftotfm is with the -a
>        option. Without -a, otftotfm writes all its output
>        files to the current directory.
>
>        After running "otftotfm fontfile texname" and
>        installing the results (manually or with -a), you can
>        use the OpenType font in plain TeX with a command
>        like this:
>
>            \font\myfont=texname at 10pt
>
> Notice the use of texname; I don't know what font name
> to use if one doesn't provide it at the command line. If
> you intend to use otftotfm, you should use a -vendor
> option because the map file it generates is of the form
> "vendor".map; the default for "vendor" is lcdftools if you
> don't provide a vendor. And you'll have to call
>
> updmap-user -enable Map "vendor".map
>
> manually because the current version of otftotfm still calls
> updmap.
>
>  >|> And autoinst is intended to be used with a font *family*,
>  >|> not an individual font. Is VectoraLTPro-Roman.otf the only
>  >|> VectoraLTPro font you have?
>  >|
>  >|I have:
>  >|
>  >|VectoraLTPro-BlackItalic.otf, VectoraLTPro-Black.otf,
>  >|VectoraLTPro-BoldItalic.otf, VectoraLTPro-Bold.otf,
>  >|VectoraLTPro-Italic.otf,
>  >|VectoraLTPro-LightItalic.otf, VectoraLTPro-Light.otf,
>  >|VectoraLTPro-Roman.otf
>
> Well, autoinst could be provided with all of them in one
> call and would produce a sty file for use with LaTeX. But
> presumably this is not of interest to you if you don't use
> LaTeX.

It seems solved with `Roman', but still unsolved with Italic.  I did:

 $ autoinst VectoraLTPro-Italic.otf

, then

 $ updmap-user --enable Map VectoraLTPro.map

, then

\font\normalfont=VectoraLTPro-Roman-tlf-t1 at 9 pt
\font\itfont=VectoraLTPro-Italic-tlf-t1 at 9 pt

{\normalfont hallo}

{\itfont hallo}

\bye

Then:

 $ tex test
 $ xdvi test
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 0+540/600 --dpi 540 VectoraLTPro-Italic-tlf-t1--base
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for VectoraLTPro-Italic-tlf-t1--base.
mktexpk: perhaps VectoraLTPro-Italic-tlf-t1--base is missing from the map file.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
xdvi: Error: Can't find font VectoraLTPro-Italic-tlf-t1--base; using cmr10 instead. Expect ugly output.

, whereas VectoraLTPro-Roman-tlf-t1 is all right...  Why this difference?
VectoraLTPro-Italic-tlf-t1--base.tfm and VectoraLTPro-Italic-tlf-t1.tfm are
both present in their places, exactly as VectoraLTPro-Roman-tlf-t1.tfm and
VectoraLTPro-Roman-tlf-t1--base.tfm are...  But the former doesn't work, the
latter does...

Please still help...

Rodolfo