[texhax] The "Fontspec" package : load font at specific size with dimension

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Feb 28 18:32:01 CET 2017

Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>  1. At what size is Noto Serif Bold Italic being loaded at line 1 ?
> At none or all ;-)  With setmainfont you are loading the font at all
> sizes.
>
> The default size used at begin document depends on the documentclass
> which defines a \normalsize command, but you can later on change to
> what ever you want.
OK, thank you Ulrike.
> Imho it doesn't make much sense to set as default font a bold
> italic. Setup up the normal font and use \bfseries/\textbf and
> \itshape/\textit to switch to the bold italic.
For the document in question, everything that does not require a more exotic font than Noto Serif is set in Bold Italic, so loading the non-bold, non-italic by default would accomplish nothing useful in the present case.
> \documentclass[fontsize=14pt]{scrreprt}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
>
> \setmainfont{Noto Serif}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> blalb {\bfseries blbl \itshape blbl}%14pt
>
> {\fontsize{1cm}{1.2cm}\selectfont Blabla\par} %1cm
>
> \end{document}
This (presumably) allows me to say that I want a 1 cm version of Noto Serif at 1 cm (presumably on a 1,2 cm leading) henceforth, but how, in a call to \fontface, can I /load/ the font at (e.g.,) 12.2pc so that I can use it at that size thereafter without requiring a \fontsize command ?  Since I can write "Scale=", it is not clear to me why I cannot (apparently) write "Size=".

** Phil.