[texhax] Spurious kappa1 glyph in cmmi fonts?

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Mar 9 10:23:26 CET 2016

Am Tue, 8 Mar 2016 19:51:18 -0700 schrieb Douglas McKenna:

> Using the fonttable package, one can get a one-page picture of all 128 glyphs for the TFM character codes in any of the cmmi (Computer Modern Math Italic) fonts, using, i.e.,
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%
> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
> \usepackage{fonttable}
> \begin{document}
> \fonttable{cmmi12}
> \end{document}
> %%%%%%%%%%%

> But if one converts the "cmmi" file's corresponding .pfb file to
> an OpenType font file, and then browses the glyphs in that
> resultant ".otf" file, there appear to be two extra glyphs that
> aren't represented in the original TFM font.

A pfb can contains hundreds or thousands of glyphs. The fonttable
will only show at most 256. It is quite possible and normal that a
pfb has glyphs not showns by a table.

> Are these spurious glyphs in the .pfb file left over from some
> hand conversion back in the day, or is there more method to the
> madness than I can surmise?

I have no idea, I also didn't inspect the font to see if they are
really there or if the conversion process simply got confused.

> How is it possible to draw this
> "kappa1" glyph using just a TFM cmmi font?

If such a glyph is in the font that you can create an encoding
vector and a tfm to access it.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/