[texhax] January 2015 TUG news: membership drive, election, TUGboat, meetings

TeX Users Group tug-news at tug.org
Mon Jan 19 01:28:59 CET 2015

Hello TeX-ers,

Hard to believe it is the new year already.  I hope everyone has had a
nice holiday season, and that you will have a wonderful upcoming year.

1) The big news here is the great start of the membership drive.
You may have seen the announcement message that we sent to a number
of lists, urging TUG members to help bring new members.  The response
has been very encouraging.

In short, if you know someone who is a friend of TeX, please invite them
to join TUG.  The form is at http://tug.org/join.html, and they can
browse through the site (http://tug.org) for more about what we do.
Your invitation will help TeX, help your friend, help TUG, and it will
make you eligible for some nice prizes.  The details are at the
membership campaign web site http://tug.org/membership.

2) It is election season.  A number of seats on the Board expire in
2015, including the office of President.  Please consider running.  The
nomination process is very easy and is designed not to be a barrier; see
http://tug.org/election.  If you have any inquiries, please contact the
election committee whose address is on that page.  The submission
deadline is Feb 1.

3) The submission deadline for TUGboat 36:1 is March 6.  We are
interested in articles over a wide range of subjects and directed at a
wide range of readers, most especially including tutorials and
introductions.  See http://tug.org/TUGboat/location.html for more,
including submission tips.

4) A year has passed since the publication of TUGboat 34:3 so it is now
publicly available at http://tug.org/TUGboat/Contents/contents34-3.html.

5) Dave Walden has published a new interview at
http://tug.org/interviews.  This one is with Edgar Daylight, a computer
science historian who has published two long interviews with Donald
Knuth.

6) Upcoming conferences to consider attending:

  * BachoTeX 2015, Bachotek, Poland, April 29-May 3, 2015.
  http://www.gust.org.pl/bachotex/

  * TUG 2015, Darmstadt, Germany, July 20-22, 2015.
  http://tug.org/tug2015/

  * ExpoLaTeX 2015, The Catholic University of Peru, Lima, Peru,
  July 20-24, 2015.  http://expolatex.com/

  * ConTeXt 2015, Nasbinals, France, September 14-18, 2015.
  http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2015/

You may notice that the third conference is in Peru.  There is an effort
to organize a group in Peru; if you are interested in participating
please visit the page http://expolatex.com (in Spanish).  Very exciting!

For the Board and for TUG President Steve Peter, Happy TeXing.
Jim Hefferon
TUG Vice President