[texhax] The undertilde package.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sat May 10 00:47:29 CEST 2014

On 09/05/14 14:25, Bob Tennent wrote:
>   >|undertilde.sty is in the genmisc package, presumably not in the
>   >|scheme you installed.
>
> I'm wrong. It is undertilde.tex. Why did you think it was an sty
> file?

Well ... I guess the short answer is I didn't.  I just wanted to use
\utilde, found it was provided by the package "undertilde" and so put
\usepackage{undertilde} in my preamble.  (Isn't that what one usually
does in respect of packages?)

But this produced the error "package undertilde not found" (or words to
that effect).

There *is* a .sty file in the undertilde package which I downloaded from
CRAN and managed to install.  After I installed it, there was no longer
any problem with \usepackage{undertilde}.

So I am kind of bewildered as to what you are driving at.  Can you
please elaborate?  What *should* I have done to get access to the
\utilde command (without having to install "undertilde" by hand as it
were.  And why wasn't undertilde.sty available from the get-go from my
installation of Texlive 2013?

I need to get on top of this, so I would appreciate some clarification.
Thanks.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

P. S. Thanks for your explanation about "locate" in your other email.
You are quite right --- things run overnight; this morning "locate"
found the other instances of "undertilde" that I had added to my system.

R. T.