[texhax] tug and mavericks

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Mon Mar 31 14:49:00 CEST 2014

John Neuberger,

Sorry you ran into trouble with Mavericks. I maintain MacTeX and wrote
TeXShop, so let me add my 2 cents worth.

MacTeX installs and runs on Mavericks with no difficulty.
So the easiest solution is to go to

	http://tug.org/mactex

and download and install that version.

(To be strictly correct, the TeX Dist Pref Pane is broken on Mavericks, but
this will be irrelevant unless you have several distributions and want to switch
between them. This should be fixed in the next version.)

Since you UPGRADED, your TeX distribution is probably intact, and then
you can follow Herb's suggestions and he'll eventually get you running.
The usual problem is that everything is intact except the symbolic link
/usr/texbin.

Thomas Schneider's interesting post is only relevant if you install
from the TUG DVD or you install directly from the TeX Live install script
and bypass MacTeX. His issue doesn't occur if you install MacTeX or
follow Herb's advice.

After installing MacTeX, I recommend visiting my web site to get the latest
TeXShop:

	http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html

Dick Koch