[texhax] latex2rtf?

Chris Yocum cyocum at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 17:50:04 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 11:24:04AM -0400, William F Hammond wrote:
> Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar at gmx.de> writes:
>
> > Quoting Chris Yocum (cyocum at gmail.com):
> >> I ran pandoc on haskell cabal compiled version and what you need to do is put in this:
> >>
> >> pandoc --standalone --to=html --from=latex /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/sample2e.tex
> >>
> >> Note the --standalone option.  This will wrap it in a full html file.
> >>
> >> I hope this helps.
> >
> > I guess that's not the whole story.
>
> Correct.

> > This sounds to me as if there's a problem with text encoding. Looks like
> > pandoc expects utf8, but the input probably is in some other encoding.
> >

> "sample2e.tex" is an ascii file.
>
> I think the following distills the issue:
>
>   : echo "He said, ``No'', and then he left." | pandoc --from=latex --to=html
>
>     STDOUT:
>     >He said, No
>
>     STDERR:
>     pandoc: <stdout>: commitAndReleaseBuffer: invalid argument
>     (Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character)
>
> It seems that pandoc is tripping on the LaTeX markup for
> double quotes.  It also seems to trip on forced linebreaks
> indicated by "\\".
>
> My guess, without looking at any code, is that pandoc
> supports only a very rudimentary subset of LaTeX markup
> for translation to html.

Hi Guys,

This was not my experience at all.  I ran that and resolves fine on my
machine (Ubuntu 12.04).  I am running pandoc 1.9.4.2 which I complied
with cabal so I am not using the Ubuntu package. Also, I have run it
successfully on much more complex documents with success in the past.

Unfortunately, this is a "works on my machine" moment :(

Chris