[texhax] latex2rtf?

William F Hammond hmwlfsr at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 17:24:04 CEST 2012

Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar at gmx.de> writes:

> Quoting Chris Yocum (cyocum at gmail.com):
>> I ran pandoc on haskell cabal compiled version and what you need to do is put in this:
>>
>> pandoc --standalone --to=html --from=latex /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/sample2e.tex
>>
>> Note the --standalone option.  This will wrap it in a full html file.
>>
>> I hope this helps.
>
> I guess that's not the whole story.

Correct.

>> On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 06:28:28PM -0400, William F Hammond wrote:
>> >   pandoc: <stdout>: commitAndReleaseBuffer: invalid argument
>> >   (Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character)
>
> This sounds to me as if there's a problem with text encoding. Looks like
> pandoc expects utf8, but the input probably is in some other encoding.

"sample2e.tex" is an ascii file.

I think the following distills the issue:

  : echo "He said, ``No'', and then he left." | pandoc --from=latex --to=html

    STDOUT:
    >He said, No

    STDERR:
    pandoc: <stdout>: commitAndReleaseBuffer: invalid argument
    (Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character)

It seems that pandoc is tripping on the LaTeX markup for
double quotes.  It also seems to trip on forced linebreaks
indicated by "\\".

My guess, without looking at any code, is that pandoc
supports only a very rudimentary subset of LaTeX markup
for translation to html.

                              -- Bill