[texhax] JPEG preview of XeLaTeX page?

Peter Davis pfd at pfdstudio.com
Thu Jul 7 02:02:17 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Gordon Haverland <
ghaverla at materialisations.com> wrote:

> On July 6, 2011, Peter Davis wrote:
> > Unfortunately, I'm replacing an existing workflow which uses
> > JPEG.  I may be able to convert to PNG over time, but I'm
> > stuck with JPEG for now.
>
> Just looking through man pages, there is pdf2ps or pdftops.  And
> then there is ps2raster and pstopnm.  One of the output options of
> ps2raster is JPEG.  As far as pstopnm, I think imagemagick can
> convert pnm to JPEG.

Thanks.  One of my constraints is that I'm assembling a collection of
software that can be distributed to multiple sites to provide a hands-off
workflow.  Unfortunately, I can't include anything that uses Ghostscript,
since that can't be redistributed.  Since ImageMagick also uses Ghostscript
for PDF, that's out too.  I know pdftops would work, but that only gets me
part way there.  I'm not familiar with ps2raster or pstopnm, but I'll look
into them.

> For a lark, I took a 1 page PDF and just tried the imagemagick
> program convert, and it did produce a jpeg of that 1 page pdf.
> And convert knows how to resize images I believe.
>
> Gord

Thanks!

-pd

--