[texhax] FW: Re: best way to create a short html or plain text document with a few references

Peter Davis pfd at pfdstudio.com
Sun Jan 23 16:31:55 CET 2011

> Moreover, I wonder whether another package that I may load up to CTAN next
> days
> would be useful for this purpose. It does not create any DVI, but writes
> HTML files
> directly by expanding macros made just for this purpose.
> TeX's typesetting machinery isn't involved at all.
> It reads what you type a little differently to TeX, but it's fast and
> simple.

This sounds very interesting, and I'd certainly like to try it when it's
available.

In another sense, though, TeX's mark-up language, or even LaTeX's, do not
seem to be the best qualities these systems have to offer.  While I have
often wished that XML and HTML had macro facilities, they are, in other
respects, much cleaner syntaxes, and much easier to parse, than TeX's or
LaTeX's.

I like the idea of a simple, unobtrusive, neutral mark-up that can be
processed into print formats, Web formats, etc.  The closest thing I've seen
is the emacs Muse package (http://mwolson.org/projects/EmacsMuse.html).
 Unfortunately, while Muse mark-up is simple, using Muse requires a bit of
Emacs tinkering, and Emacs is anything but simple to the novice.

(NB: This doesn't help the original poster's concern about re-using bib
data.  I was just waxing philosophical.)

--
----
The Tech Curmudgeon