[texhax] "too many unprocessed floats"

Zbigniew Nitecki zbigniew.nitecki at tufts.edu
Wed Sep 1 20:55:19 CEST 2010

The context for this is too large to reproduce, but I hope I can get some ideas how to either resolve the problem or work around it.

In a book-length document with many pictures, done either using pstricks or pst3d-solides, I replaced one float with a more complicated one involving subfig (and using pst3d-solides).
On its own (ie, in a stand-alone file), this float works fine, but when inserted in the larger project (in place of a float which previously was totally unproblematic) the processing stops---quite a few pages and floats later---with the error message
Latex error: too many unprocessed floats.

When I comment out this new float, everything works fine.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on, and more important, any idea for how to handle it?  I realize the question is an abstract one, but I have no idea how to create a minimal example to show what is happening.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155