[texhax] [pdftex] image XObjects in pdfTeX or XeTeX PDF output?

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Wed Nov 24 10:46:37 CET 2010

 > Also, by "font expansion," do we mean what InDesign calls "glyph
scaling"?

Yes, except pdfTeX is a little bit subtler.

First, font expansion can be used after the lines have been justified
(\pdfadjustspacing=1), in which case TeX builds the paragraph without
expansion and applies it in a cosmetic fashion afterward, so lines look
better, or it can be used in the justification process
(\pdfadjustspacing=2).

Second, each character has an \efcode that sets how much it can be
expanded, in thousandth of the expansion defined for the font it belongs
to. I'm not sure it makes a difference to the naked eye, though.

Best,
Paul