[texhax] using multirow and rowcolor together

Rob Messer rmesser at intellisurvey.com
Sat Nov 20 16:44:26 CET 2010

To answer my own question, I searched around some more and read the comments in multirow.sty and found that the answer is to do multirow from the bottom up -- so have no value in the upper row and do multirow{-2}, like this:

\begin{tabular}{ | p{4cm} | *{3}{ >{\centering}p{2cm} |} }
\hline
\rowcolor{lightgray}
& & \multicolumn{2}{>{\columncolor{lightgray}}c|}{Gender}\tabularnewline
\rowcolor{lightgray}
\multirow{-2}*{Results} &
\multirow{-2}*{All records} &
Male & Female \tabularnewline
\hline
test & 75\% & 80\% & 70\% \tabularnewline
\hline
\end{tabular}

This produces the attached output, which is close to what I'm looking for.  Now the only issue is this: how do I get rid of the very small (1pt it appears) lines that show up where the \hline would normally be?