[texhax] diagrams of PaulTaylor

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Thu Feb 4 10:50:57 CET 2010

Am 04.02.2010 um 02:37 schrieb Victor Ivrii:

> One of my esteemed colleagues complained that TexLive 2009 does not
> have diagrams.sty he used to use
>
> While there is diagrams.ps from some
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/bardiag/example/diagrams.ps
>
> and diagram.sty for chess there obviously no diagrams.sty on CTAN or
> in the the author website (author himself suggests to get V3.93.tex
> and rename it).

> ! YOU HAVE AN OUT OF DATE VERSION OF COMMUTATIVE DIAGRAMS! *
> ! it expired in December 2009 and is time-bombed for April *
> ! You may get an up to date version of this package from *
> ! either www.ctan.org or www.PaulTaylor.EU/diagrams/ *

Interestingly, the expiration date was changed in the newest version, but the message is not:

\ifnum\count@>24144 %% (December 2011)
\message{***********************************************************}%%ascii
\message{! YOU HAVE AN OUT OF DATE VERSION OF COMMUTATIVE DIAGRAMS! *}%%
\message{! it expired in December 2009 and is time-bombed for April *}%%
\message{! You may get an up to date version of this package from *}%%ascii
\message{! either www.ctan.org or www.PaulTaylor.EU/diagrams/ *}%%
\message{***********************************************************}%%ascii
\ifnum\count@>24147 %% (March 2012)

> While I don't care about commutative diagrams, there are some of my
> colleagues who do. Any suggestion how to bring them from the
> wilderness to civilized TeX distribution?

I guess it will never make it to TeX Live due to its extremely restrictive license:

%% COPYRIGHT NOTICE:                                                    %
%%      This package may be copied and used freely for any academic     %
%%      (not commercial or military) purpose, on condition that it      %
%%      is not altered in any way, and that an acknowledgement is       %
%%      included in any published work making substantial use of it.    %
%%                                                                      %
%%      IT IS SUPPLIED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.   %
%%                                                                      %
%%      If you are doing something where mistakes cost money (or where  %
%%      success brings financial profit) then you must use commercial   %
%%      software, not this package. In any case, please remember to     %
%%      keep several backup copies of all files, and check everything   %
%%      visually before sending final copy to the publishers.           %
%%      You may use this package as a (substantial) aid to writing an   %
%%      academic research or text book on condition that                %
%%       (i) you contact me at a suitable time to ensure that you have  %
%%           an up-to-date version (and any infelicities can be fixed), %
%%      (ii) you send me a copy of the book when it's published.        %

So it must not be altered or used for commercial purposes, which is unacceptable for TeX Live. I think the phrase "not altered in any way" includes renaming, so even uploading it to CTAN as diagrams.sty would be illegal.