[texhax] installing TexLive

Fernando Gouvea fqgouvea at colby.edu
Thu Feb 4 02:57:59 CET 2010

I'm trying to install TeXLive on my laptop. The CTAN site suggests
downloading install-tl.zip and then running the batch file. I just did
that, and install-tl seems to hang after several preliminary stuff
(setting PATH and so on), at the point where it calls perl. The window
just stays there and nothing happens. After a while, I get tired and hit
control-C, and it stops.

Any ideas?

Fernando

Fernando Q. Gouvea
Carter Professor of Mathematics
Colby College                     Editor, FOCUS
Mayflower Hill 5836               Editor, MAA Reviews
Waterville, ME 04901
fqgouvea at colby.edu

It is against the grain of modern education to teach children to program. What fun is there in making plans, acquiring discipline in organizing thoughts, devoting attention to detail, and learning to be self-critical?
   -- Alan Perlis