[texhax] Getting TIPA Times without times.sty

Ng E-Ching ng.eching at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 00:24:58 CET 2009

Dear all,

I have figured out a solution based on code from my professor (Steve
Anderson). It's clunky but it does work for pdflatex.

But it doesn't work if I use XeTeX to specify the font instead (which
was really my final goal), so any advice on these points would be
welcome: (1) I cannot get engma (\ng) in XeTeX at all; (2) I cannot get
ash (\ae) in the XeTeX-specified font; (3) XeTeX seems incompatible with
the T1 mode of TIPA and fontenc in this file, though I've seen it work
in other files.

Take care,
E-Ching

\documentclass[letterpaper,12pt]{article}

\usepackage{mathpazo} % Set font without XeTeX
% \setmainfont{Adobe Garamond Pro} % Set font using XeTeX
% \usepackage{fontspec} % Needed in XeTeX

\usepackage[safe,T1]{tipa} % T1 option incompatible with XeTeX
\usepackage{tipx}

\newcommand{\A} {{\fontfamily{ptm}\textscripta}}
\newcommand{\E} {{\fontfamily{ptm}\textschwa}}
\newcommand{\EH}{{\fontfamily{ptm}\textepsilon}}
\newcommand{\I} {{\fontfamily{ptm}\textsci}}
\newcommand{\SH}{{\fontfamily{ptm}\textesh}}
\newcommand{\pristr}{{\fontfamily{ptm}\textprimstress}}
\newcommand{\secstr}{{\fontfamily{ptm}\textsecstress}}

% Engma requires special treatment, don't know why
\newcommand{\ngec}{{\fontfamily{lmr}\selectfont\ng}}

\begin{document}

\section*{Heading with matching IPA:
[\secstr{\EH}kspl{\E}{\pristr}ne{\I}{\SH}{\ae}{\ngec}]}

Running text with matching IPA:
[\secstr{\EH}kspl{\E}{\pristr}ne{\I}{\SH}{\ae}{\ngec}]

\section*{Heading with non-matching IPA: \textipa{[""Ekspl@"neIS{\ae}N]}}

Running text with non-matching IPA: \textipa{[""Ekspl@"neIS{\ae}N]}

\end{document}