[texhax] Getting TIPA Times without times.sty

Ng E-Ching ng.eching at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 10:13:02 CET 2009

Dear all,

I'm typing phonetic characters in a document that's largely Palatino
(mathpazo). The TIPA package can manage this but the phonetic characters
all come out Computer Modern, which is a poor match for Palatino. Is
there a way to make TIPA use Times instead?

The TIPA manual says to just put the Times package before TIPA:
\usepackage{times}
\usepackage{tipa}
But this won't work when the Palatino package comes immediately after:
\usepackage{mathpazo}

Here's some test code for TIPA:
\textipa{[""Ekspl@"neIS at n]}

Would be most grateful for any suggestions - it is entirely possible I
am missing something obvious as I haven't been using LaTeX for very long!

E-Ching