[texhax] TeXLive2008 for Kubuntu

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Tue Mar 31 10:25:56 CEST 2009

Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi David,
>
>     I haven't received my TeXlive 2008 disk yet,
>
> Were you a member in 2008?  You certainly should have received it in
> that case.  I see you sent the registration form for 2009 (but didn't
> see it in 2008), but that gets the 2009 TeX Live, not automatically the
> 2008 DVD -- that's an option.  Confusing, I know, but we haven't been
> able to find a clearer way to handle it.
>
> Anyway, please feel free to write office-admin at tug.org and we'll
> straighten out any membership stuff.  Thanks for your support!
>
>     but I'd like to upgrade my TeXlive 2007 installation on my linux
>     system (Kubuntu 8.10, KDE 4.2, AMD-64).  Unfortunately, the older
>     packages are still on the Ubuntu package site.
>
>      What's the best way to do upgrade my system now?
>
> If you have a decent net connection, the best way is to download the net
> installer and run it.  It'll install under /usr/local (by default) and
> hence not conflict with anything the system provides.
> See http://tug.org/texlive/acquire.html for info.
>
> Best regards,
> Karl

one problem though, is that some ubuntu packages require LaTeX, and if
you do not want to have both TeXLive 2007 (from Ubuntu) and TeX Live
2008 (from TUG) installed at the same time, you will need to do a little
work (I did it last week and it works fine).

Uninstall all texlive packages from Ubuntu (a bit tedious from Synaptic).

Install TeX Live 2008 somewhere on your system.

Use equivs to build a special package that will tell Ubuntu that
packages similar to a large number of Ubuntu packages have already been
installed. Now an editor like TeXMaker can be installed without
instisting that one have to install latex as well.

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard explained it (in French) in
http://weblog.elzevir.fr/2008/11/tex-live-2008-a-la-vanille-sur-debian-like/

I did a much longer explanation (in Danish) in
http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/artikler/tl2008_i_ubuntu.html

--

/daleif