[texhax] Adding packages to mactex (TeXshop)

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Thu Mar 26 16:32:19 CET 2009

I wondered why it is not in TeXLive. Answer ...

At 15:49 26.03.09, Axel E. Retif wrote:
>Christine Largouët wrote:
> > I make a new directory in /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex
> > call "floatfig" and insert the floatfig.sty inside.
>
>No, don't do that ---don't put anything inside /usr/local/texlive/
>2008... Your local additions should go in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-
>local/ (that is, for a LaTeX package, /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/
>tex/latex), and you have to run in Terminal
>
>sudo texhash
>
>for (La)TeX to recognize your addition. Also, you can put it in
>
>~/Library/texmf/tex/latex (~/Library means the Library directory of
>your Home). You don't have to run texhash for anything you put here.
>
>I don't know the floatfig package, but isn't it old?

And I wondered why it is not in TeXLive. Answer seems to be (cf.
ctan.tug.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/bytopic.html and ctan.tug.org/pkg):

floatfig is obsolete, doesn't work with LaTeX2e, superseded by floatflt,
which *is* in TeXLive. There are also wrapfig and picinpar (picins seems to
be missing as well).

HTH -- Uwe.