[texhax] Swedish Characters

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Wed Mar 18 03:01:39 CET 2009

"Martin Jönsson" <martinljonsson at gmail.com> writes:

> \usepackage[encoding]{inputenc}
>
> file 'encoding.def' not found

Of course the word "encoding" should be changed to the
actual character encoding used for the input file.

> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
>
> but this generated the error message
>
> !Package inputeenc Error: Keyboard character used is undefined
> (inputenc)          in inputencoding 'latin1'.

OK, that shows the input encoding is not "latin1", alias
ISO 8859-1.  Maybe the input files use another in the 8859
series (a summary can be found at
http://www.terena.org/activities/multiling/ml-docs/iso-8859.html

Another possibility is a Microsoft variant character set, usually
quoted as "code-page <number>", in which case use
  \usepackage[cp1252]{inputenc}
or
  [cp850] ??

But unicode UTF-8 is the most likely candidate, so I suggest
your friend try
  \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
or, perhaps try
  \usepackage{ucs}
  \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}

If they don't work, maybe the text file is in some other encoding,
and the text editor will tell what it is, or maybe someone will
need to look at it, or maybe even there are stray binary bytes
mixed in with the input characters.

Donald Arseneau                          asnd at triumf.ca