[texhax] MS-Word to LaTeX conversion program

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Wed Mar 11 19:09:26 CET 2009

Jurgen:

> >> OOo can import doc files and export LaTeX. You should save the doc
> >> file as ODT from OOo before exporting to LaTeX.
> >
> > Why should one save as ODT?
>
> It's the native format of OOo. Exporting to LaTeX works without saving
> to ODT beforehand, of course. But the ODT file is what writer2latex
> works on. And there is no LaTeX import, vice versa. So if you need to
> change anything you should recur to the ODT.

Ok, that's what I suspected.  There may be times when one wants to go
from a .doc to .tex without any other files.  There was a possibility,
suggested from what you wrote, that for some reason OOo had to write
the ODT before being able to create a .tex file.

> > I've added this information to
> > http://www.ccrnp.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/latex.html
>
> ...which I have, in return, added to
>
> http://texcatalogue.sarovar.org/bytopic.html#biology
>
> (will appear on CTAN only tomorrow)

Thanks!

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research Nanobiology Program
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu