[texhax] Transparency or reduced saturation using Graphicx ?

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Thu Mar 5 23:34:24 CET 2009

Whatever you do is not going to be easy.  What I would do (and I
recently had to do it with 149 images) is take a screenshot, using
import if you have it available, convert the image to TIFF, and operate
on it either with GIMP or with Adobe Streamline, to get the spines of
all the heavy lines.  With the right Streamline settings you should be
able to come to a fairly close approximation of the lighter penstrokes
on the associated image.

One other approach, which may be precluded because you seem to be
dealing with a simple Black-White image rather than any level of
grayscale, would be to convert it to indexed gray-scale (about 15 levels
should do) in GIMP and then nip away at the outer edges by progressively
resetting the lighter grays to white.  Then harden up the remaining
dark-gray to black pixels to simple black. I have found that an
extremely useful way to fine down slovenly (200DPI) scans of what was
originally line art, so that the result was an acceptable imitation of a
1200DPI scan.  But usually you need to start with some reasonable level
of gray scale, which doesn't seem to be available in your samples.

If only a simple graying out is needed, GIMP layers will do it.  The top
layer can be set as not fully transparent.

Pierre MacKay