[texhax] Wrong latex getting used.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Mar 3 04:30:40 CET 2009

Thanks very much for your message.  I think you've solved my problem,
at least at the initial level.  See below.

On 3/03/2009, at 3:25 PM, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> Rolf,
>
> I'm ccing your message below to Richard Koch, MacTeX maintainer.
>
> (By the way, I would advise you to subscribe to the Mac OS X TeX
> mailing list:

	Someone else already tendered the same advice, and I
	have subscribed.

> MacTeX installs a control panel in System Preferences, called TeX
> distribution, that lets you shift from one TeX distribution to another
> with just a mouse click; for example, you can have TeXLive-2007,
> TeXLive-2008, gwTeX, Fink's teTeX and MacPorts TeX, and choose which
> one you want to use at any time.
>
> So check the control panel, and see which distribution is selected in
> it.

I checked the control panel; there were three choices: Fink-teTeX,
TeXLive-2007,
and TeXLive-2008.  The TexLive-2008 seemed to be the active one, i.e.
its
button was ``high-lighted'' (had a black do in it).

> If that doesn't work. You can do three things: 1) reinstall MacTeX so
> it again takes control of your distributions; 2) tell Fink to
> uninstall teTeX (but that would be a problem if you have Fink's
> packages that depend on it); or 3) comment out momentarily the Fink
> line ( . /sw/bin/init.sh in .bashrc, and something similar in .cshrc),

Nya-ha!  That's where the refusal to set my path to what I want is
coming from.  I should've noticed that; it was right before my eyes.
Bit of a ``duhhhh'' on my part.

> logout ---or restart your computer--- and see if your system now
> recognizes TeXLive as your valid distribution.

I commented out the ``source /sw/bin/init.sh" line in my .cshrc file
sourced .cshrc, and then did  ``latex junk''.  Bingo!  It ran; no
error thrown.  (And of course my path was as I had specified it.)

So I've got a workaround at least.  Seems a wee bit jerry-built to
jigger around with the path like that, but.  Am I running into any
dangers that way?

Thanks for your help.

	cheers,

		Rolf Turner

Attention:
This e-mail message is privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

This e-mail has been scanned and cleared by MailMarshal
www.marshalsoftware.com