[texhax] using align, array, eqnarry within tabular environment

Barbara Beeton bnb at ams.org
Fri Apr 10 16:03:53 CEST 2009

stephen,

this morning you answered phil ratcliffe
regarding the re-use of align;

    But align within minipage still does not work for me - I get too many } or & error in that case.

    Since yesterday I have found that I can get it to work with a series of equations with $$ within tabular
    \begin{tabular}{c}
    $eqn1$ \\
    $eqn2$
    \end{tabular}
    or even with an array environment within an equation environment within minipage with \tabularnewline, within tabular.

    Is there perhaps an equivalent replacement for & as there is for \\ with \tabularnewline that you (or the list) know of?

this really isn't the proper approach.
perhaps you missed the message i sent

  the align environment works only at "outer" level
  (which can be directly within a minipage); it
  cannot be used within any other environment,
  particularly within another display environment.
  instead, use the aligned environment:

    ===================================
    \documentclass{article}
    \usepackage{amsmath}
    \begin{document}
      \begin{tabular}{cc}
       \begin{minipage}{2in}
         \flushleft text
       \end{minipage} &
         $\begin{aligned}
           x & = y+1  \\
           z & = 2 x
       \end{aligned}$
     \end{tabular}

    \end{document}

  see the section on "alignment building blocks" in
  the amsmath user's guide (amsldoc.pdf), p.7.

  any of these subsidiary environments must be
  in math mode.

since i'm at least partly in charge of the
official documentation for amsmath, i'm
quite sure this is the proper approach.
							-- bb